Check out this delicious Indian style Thanksgiving Turkey made with authentic Indian spices. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Difficulty: Advanced
- Servings: 12-16 (1lb per person)
- Prep Time: ~ 45 min – 60 min + marinate overnight
- Cook Time: ~ 4.5 hours
- Total Time: ~ 5.5 hours + overnight marination
- 12-16 lb Turkey
- 1½ cups of coriander powder
- 1/3 cup of fried onions
- 1 tablespoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of black cumin seeds
- 1/2 of a megnut
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- 5 green cardomom
- 5 black cardomom
- 1 sliced orange
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 cans of vegetable broth (14.5oz)
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt or to taste
- 2 slices of coconut – optional
- 1/8 cup of charoli – chirongee in Hindi – optional
- 3-4 pieces of mace – javiriti in Hindi – optional
- 9 cloves – loong in Hindi – optional
- 1/3 cup of almonds – optional
- Use a mini blender and add the following: mace, megnut, peppercorns, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, and the black cumin seeds. Then, grind.
- Use a regular blender and add the following: almonds, coriander powder, coconut, fried onions, charoli, red chili powder, ginger, garlic cloves, salt, and two cups of water. Liquefy.
- Add the mixes from both blenders into a big bowl. Then mix together.
- Add the sliced lemon and oranges into the bowl. Mix.
- Add the turkey neck into the bowl as well. Mix.
- Use the olive oil and spread it all over the Turkey. Spread it into to the cavity of the Turkey as well.
- Add the lemon and the oranges into the Turkey’s stomach cavity. Add most of the mix in there as well.
- Add water to the bottom of your pan. For every 5 lbs that the Turkey weighs, add one cup of water.
- Marinate the Turkey overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Cover the Turkey with aluminum foil and cook it for four hours.
- Then, remove the foil and let it cook in the oven for another 5-10 minutes to give it a nice bronze color.
- Remove the Turkey from the oven. Remove all of the gravy from the bottom of the pan and into a pot on the stove.
- Add two cans of vegetable broth. Boil the gravy.
- Add 4 heaping teaspoons of cornstarch to thicken gravy.
- Serve Turkey with rice and gravy on top. Enjoy!
Indian Style Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
Indian Style Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes