Indian recipes: This delicious Indian chicken recipe is made with mint, cilantro, and green chilies. The signature ingredient is the mint which gives it a savory mouth watering taste.
- Marination Time: 2-3 hours
- Cook Time: 55-65 min
- Total Time: 175 min to 245 min
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 bunch of Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of Coriander Powder
- 1/4 – ½ bunch of Mint
- 2 cups of Yogurt
- 1 Lemon
- 1/8 cup Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3-4 Green Chili
- ¼ cup of Oil (your choice of : Corn Oil, Canola Oil, or Olive Oil)
- Dash of Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- Optional: Pinch of Fried Onions
- Cut and clean chicken. Wash and let it drain until dry.
- Make small cuts in the chicken at the breast and at the thigh so herbs and spice will marinate well.
- Add yogurt, mint, green chili, cilantro, black pepper, salt, coriander powder and lemon juice in a blender. Blend it until it turns into a smooth green paste. You can also add a pinch of fried onions to the blender as well but this is optional.
- Add green mixture to the chicken. Let it marinate for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- For 50-55 minutes, steam the chicken over the stove on medium heat. During this time period, be sure to baste and stir the chicken to avoid burning.
- Next, uncover the lid and cook on high heat so that the water can evaporate. If you skip this step, then the spices and herbs on the chicken will not have the correct thick creamy consistency.
- Add oil once the water has evaporated in order to enhance texture and flavor.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes depending on size of chicken. Be sure to baste and move chicken around from time to time in order to avoid burning the bottom.
- Serve with white rice.