We’ll show you how to make this Indian curry recipe using authentic Indian spices. This easy Indian recipe will satisfy seafood lovers and curry lovers alike.
- Servings: 5-7
- Total Time: 45-60 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs of catfish
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of coriander powder
- 1½ red onions
- ¼ lemon
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Peel and slice onions.
- Take one full onion and add to blender. Add ½ cup of water to the blender. Blend until both are liquid.
- Add 6 cloves of the garlic to the blender. Add 1 inch ginger to blender as well. Liquify.
- Add 1 cup of corn oil to pan. Set stove to medium heat.
- Add ½ of an onion to pan. Fry for about 4-5 minutes until onions turn golden brown. Avoid burning onions.
- Add the liquefied blender mix to the pan with the golden brown onions.
- Add the following: fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan.
- Add catfish to the pan. Gently move around the catfish for 10 minutes on medium heat in order to evenly cook.
- Cover catfish and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Check catfish to see if cooked by sticking in fork. If it comes out clear, it is cooked.
- Uncover catfish and allow water to evaporate. The curry will go from having a watery consistency to having a thick oily consistency.
- Add a cut up bunch of cilantro to fish. Add lemon juice to dish.
- Serve with bread (roti, chapati, tortilla) or plain rice.
We hope you liked this recipe. Please check out some of our other fish recipes including our Spicy Baked Salmon recipe.